Sunday, October 23, 2022

October 22, 2022

Saturday. I should have been out in the garden, digging up beds and pulling dead flowers, enjoying the perfect 72-degree weather. Instead I sat in my leather chair in the pine room most of the day, tired and cold. Must still be the virus from Venice hanging on. 

The day started when Paul woke up. We made waffles with syrup and whipping cream (standard Grammy fare for breakfast), with fresh fruit and milk and vitamins. That dispensed with, Paul got some iPad time while I cleaned and made beds and got dressed. Then I hauled out the paints and we made pumpkins and something that Paul called “scary hearts.” 


Neal came over with Penny, and we played a game of Shaking Bridge, then they left for home. An hour later I got an invitation to come over for fried green tomatoes (Phil was at the gym), so we had that delightful snack. I took Penny home with me while they went to an amusement park for the rest of the day.

Penny and Ernie get along famously. She was very good and did all her duties outside rather than in the house. She sat on my lap for much of the afternoon, as I finished my book, Refuge. (A wonderful read.) Finally, at about 4 or 5 pm, I felt strong enough to work in the garden. So out Penny came with me. It was satisfying to see her race around the back yard, pounce on all the plants I pulled up, and drag them into the pine room, dirty roots and all. She was raised in a high-rise apartment, with almost no outdoor exposure, so this was heaven for her, and all new. Fun.

I managed to clear and spade up one vegetable bed completely, and also take out some of the dead zinnias and cosmos in the flower bed. Then Phil and I sat on the back deck and watched the sun go down, and talked. It was so peaceful and comfortable. A lovely day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

November 19, 2022

 Saturday. Neal and Paul had a Lego derby at church this morning, so they came over for waffles and to put finishing touches on their cars. ...